Monday, 10 June 2013

Quiet Book

Beads on strings

I'm in the middle of making a quiet book or busy book as they are sometimes called.  

These are a sort of activity book for babies and toddlers that you can make yourself and fill with a whole host of interactive activities that you think might excite them.

It's been fun searching for ideas as there seem to be so many different types of pages that can be created, from decorating Christmas trees to matching coloured socks but it's so difficult trying to decide what to do, especially for one so young!


Feather trim, pom pom trim, pipe cleaners and ribbons
Velcro from computer ties

I decided I should make my first book mainly about textures as this is what appeals to him the most at the moment.  He loves touching the feely bits in books especially the 'That's not my...' series. 


Bead trim, ribbons, mirror trim, sparkly fabrics

Miniature bunting with patterned fabrics

So far, I have used buttons, ribbons, beads, feathers, shiny and patterned fabrics and any other useful scraps that I had lying around.  

I still have to sew it all together and maybe even make a front cover...or should I leave the pages loose and just tie them together with ribbon so they can be mixed up and changed for new ones....oh I don't know! 


I will post pics when complete and when I've tried it out - I hope he likes it!



Tuesday 18th June....

A wee update on the quiet book as I've managed to get a little bit done while the little one is sleeping this morning.  I think I'm going to call him Monty as I can's keep calling him the little one!
Four pages stitched together
I decided to stitch four pages together to make a book that can be tied together loosely with ribbon so that more pages can be added or removed in the future.  

A photograph of these items with names will
become the checklist for finding the items in the I Spy game
I've also seen 'I Spy' pages around and thought I would have a go at this too. 

I've still got a few things to collect and then I'll write the names of the objects under the pictures and laminate the 'search' card.

All the real items will go into a plastic pocket which I'll fill with rice and stitch closed. 

Hope to get it all finished soon but need to think of a front cover picture or title....'My Quiet/Busy Book' seems a bit dull!

Update: 20 June...all finished!!

I managed to get the book all finished tonight and thought I would share it.   
Although I've been calling it a 'quiet book', in the end I thought a 'busy book' was more appropriate as I hope it'll keep Monty busy, not necessarily quiet!


 I tied the pages together loosely with ribbon as I had planned at first but it was just going to come apart really easily so I put in a few stitches down the spine to hold it all together which works better.....and if I make more pages in the future, which I probably will, they will need to be in a whole new book. 

The book is for a 1 year old so it's mainly a mixture of colour, pattern and texture - nice things for him to look at and touch.  
When he's a bit bigger I will try to dream up more challenging pages!


Bunting flags, lots of buttons, felt circles and flowers
Velcro rip tape in bright colours and a mixture of feathers, ribbons and pom poms
Beads on strings - abacus style and a shiny page with lots of silver textures

I decided not to include the 'I Spy' page as once the objects and rice were in the pocket it was way too heavy so I'll finish that off on it's own and post it soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment