Monday, 5 May 2014

Flower Chalkboard

I sort of pinched this idea from our nursery class at school.

I was visiting one day and noticed they had a chalkboard for each group where they recorded the children's plans and ideas for learning.  Then staff could just take a photo of the ideas on the chalkboard to keep as evidence before wiping clean to start anew - yes us teachers seem to have to provide soooooo much evidence!!

When I looked for the chalkboards online, they proved to be a bit pricey - outwith the reach of our current funds in school.  And after mentioning it to one of the staff at school, she offered her husband's jig-saw cutting skills and here we are....

A flower shaped chalkboard!

He cut the flower shape from MDF - and I simply painted it with a couple of tester pots and some chalkboard paint.  The actual size of the flower is approx 80x80cm and the stem is a further 70cm so it's quite large.

I think I will have to ask someone - maybe our caretaker - to put a hole in the top so I can hang it up as it might be a bit wobbly just standing on the floor.

Super pleased with it and just what I was looking for!

2 comments:

  1. what a great idea, it looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan! I'm about to do a huge chalkboard for the garden for little one too, but it'll be a plain rectangular, traditional chalkboard. :-)

    ReplyDelete