Monday, 16 December 2013

Baby Play Mat


This is what I made last year for little one when he was only 7 months old at Christmas and he just sat on top of it like a little Christmas pudding!

The mat evolved as I worked on it as I didn't really have a set plan of exactly what I wanted to make.  I knew I wanted a range of touchy-feely fabrics and bits of ribbon and to try to make different themes/scenes, so the outcome turned out to be flower shape with each scene looking a bit like a petal.

I used bits of fabric that I had lying around, the only thing I bought was a larger piece to back it and some squeakers for inside the sun and the bus.  I'm not sure why a sun might squeak but it's been lots of fun anyway!


weather scene
The weather scene has a felt rainbow, towelling cloud with shiny lame raindrops and ribbon rays coming from the sun.



bus scene
The double decker bus is made from mix of cotton and felt and has a squeaker behind the driver.  
The leaves have different patterns and textures and some have crinkly paper inside to make a nice scrunchy sound.


dinosaur scene
The dinosaur is made from fleece and has different ribbons stitched around its back, the 'smoke' from the volcano is a piece of netting and the sandy looking ground is a piece of rough linen.


moon scene



The space scene has a moon with craters which are stitched on top of wadding to give a padded look.  The stars are the shiny lame again and the rocket is made from felt.  It can fly around the moon but it's attached with a ribbon and can be secured on the moon with a piece of Velcro.



garden scene
The garden scene has a butterfly with wings that can be lifted up and a flower with crinkly leaves.  The grass is fringed for added texture.

I tried to use lots of colours, prints, textures and sounds to make the mat interesting for a baby, but didn't buy anything specifically for the mat, I just tried to use what I had (apart from the squeakers)

He has enjoyed using it and hopefully will continue to do so as he grows and develops, learning to use it in different ways.

I thought carefully about safety while making this as I know my little one put absolutely everything in his mouth at that stage.  It really goes without saying that if you want to make one, choose materials which you think are safe and suitable for your baby. Remember to ensure everything is securely attached to the mat and never leave your baby unsupervised when on the mat.  

7 comments:

  1. Quelle jolie idée ! Bravo ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you make it upon request? I would be interested in buying it! if so pls contact me at picozzivalentina@hotmail.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your interest. Unfortunately I just don't have time just now to do much sewing. I'm thinking about making and selling the sewing patterns for my 'makes' if that's something you would be interested in.

      Delete
  3. What did you use for the crinkle material? I am going to attempt to make one for my granddaughter. Also what size did you make each of the parts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is such a neat idea!! Especially for the really little ones :)
    I may also try to make one of these one day, it is on my loooong to-do list ;)
    thanx for sharing it with us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comments. I hope you find the time, it's certainly very difficult for me these days!

      Delete